Glass Bottom Boat Trips Chania Harbour - Chania Boat Trip Chania Cruises
Fanourios Glass Bottom Boat Trips Chania also provide the boat for private tours from two people and up, for weddings and for small daily parties which have been arranged beforehand.
Chania Harbour info:
The first construction of the lighthouse was between 1320 and 1355, but due to shallow waters and because it was very vulnerable to the north and south winds construction ceased from 1353-1354. After the city was invaded by the Turks (1645) the occupants didn't care about maintaining it or working on its construction. Finally Mehmet Ali, the ruler of Egypt -Crete was under Egyptian occupation 1831-1841-realized the significance of the port for the local economy and he repaired it and continued with its construction. The construction was completed in the Old Town. The lighthouse of Chania didn't look like other lighthouses of its time. Its architectural style was like a minaret and there wasn't a house for the lighthouse guard which didn't put it in the regular category of lighthouses.
It measured 21m, its light reached 7miles and it is one of the oldest lighthouses of Europe and the most prestigious in the world . Inaugurated by the Venetians around 1595-1601 under natural rock it took on a lot of characteristics of the local architectural traditions which were influenced by the Venetians. The last part was finished at the end of Venetian occupation . It was build with walls which were with an octagon base and a decagon middle part and a third circular piece.
In 1839 it was renovated and updated to the new style. As for the staircase on the east side of the lighthouse, it is from the Turkish period
The "Neoria" or Arsenali was used by the Veneticians for the building of ships in the winter during the years of the Venetician rule. The largest building of the Arsenali in the port of Chania was build between 1526 and 1599 and was constructed with17 arches. Most of the buildings were demolished during the Turkish occupation as the role the port played during that time had been minimized and the maintenance of the buildings was not kept up. The buildings which remained intact after the Turkish occupation were used as army storage warehouses.